Harbour Project - Leadership Change
"Viktor Szakáts" <harbour.01@syenar.hu> Jul 18 01:53AM +0200 ^ To All Harbourers, Now finished releasing the latest stable version into the wild I'm completing my earlier decision to resign from leading the project.
I'm glad to leave Harbour in very healthy state; it is stable, reliable, efficient and nicely put together like a hand-made Swiss watch. It reaches "enterprise" quality by many means.
In the meanwhile Harbour stayed true to all of its original goals of compatibility, standard compliance and portability. All these features qualify Harbour the best xBase infrastructure that exists now. This also means that all the plans were met that I originally had in mind when rejoined the project 5 years ago. Thanks go to the active and enthusastic developers, supporters, including family and friends who had to cope with this stuff. It's been very busy years.
Disregarding technical aspects, there are things which could be improved though: "marketing", docs, merging the highly split userbase, "activating" the passive part of userbase, attracting new and young crowd, and dealing with shrinking developer force, probably many more. Nothing new here.
On the technical side everyone has his/her long list of "wishes", I hope as much of it will become a reality as possible so Harbour will be able to present a true alternative to big players like Python, PHP and Ruby and maybe Java, C# even.
Back to now. Przemek enjoys respect and trust from all participants of the Harbour community, myself included just as much or even more, so he became my top candidate for next leader of the project. Luckily, Przemek agreed to take the lead. So, I'm now handing this task to him with utmost confidence and trust. I believe his lead will do the best for the project both in technical and non-technical terms, and will set a different and better tone for the whole project whilst keeping main original goals.
I'm backing off and plan to spend much less time on Harbour than before to get on with other parts of my life. Many thanks for those who supported me throughout the years, and thanking Phil to trust Harbour on me.
Now pls cheer Przemek. Viktor
No comments:
Post a Comment